Disc Free (df) weirdness (FC2)

Robert Nichols rnicholsNOSPAM at comcast.net
Fri Oct 7 05:44:05 UTC 2005

Mike McCarty wrote:
> Peter Arremann wrote:
>
>> On Thursday 06 October 2005 21:10, Mike McCarty wrote:
>>
>>> At 93%, it must have been about 7098935 blocks used. How did a
>>> reboot free up 1017187 blocks?
>>

>> When deleting a file that is currently being used by a program, the
>> disk blocks are actually not freed up until the last process that has
>> a closed the file. Most likely one of the files you deleted was still
>> being used.
>

> I forgot to mention... I had NO programs running except for an xterm
> with a shell in it, su to root. I had closed all window, and opened
> only the one. I do use GNOME with X Window to manage the windows,
> however. (I suppose it might have been a gnome-terminal.)

If you had recently upgraded a large software package, perhaps the
xorg-x11 suite, and still had the old version executing, then all of
the old, deleted files will still consume disk space until the
currently running program exits.

--
Bob Nichols         Yes, "NOSPAM" is really part of my email address.