fedora-list Digest, Vol 20, Issue 38

Richard England rengland at europa.com
Fri Oct 7 06:29:01 UTC 2005

wld wrote:

>>convince

>>>Not sure this answers your question...
>>>
>>>Well, you could either just type the command, filling
>>>several lines. Or
>>>you could end each line with a \ to continue on the
>>>next.
>>>
>>>Lars
>>>

>> First thank you very much for your answer. Alas, as
>>you already guessed, this doesn't address my problem.
>>Let me try to explain it again. Long command lines are
>> supposed to be scrolled by bash. That is, when your
>>cursor reaches the very right-hand side of the window,
>>bash should continue the command on the next line. In
>>my case bash doesn't behave like this and I have no
>>ideea why.
>>
>> Val
>>

>Hi Valentin,
>You wrote that bash didn't continue the command on the new line.
>What does bash instead? Does the command scroll to the left?
>Do you have .inputrc file in your home directory? Is so, please
>look into this file. If .inputrc contains a line
>  set horizontal-scroll-mode on
>that is the reason of your bash behaviour. From bash man page:
>
>    `horizontal-scroll-mode'
>          This variable can be set to either `on' or `off'.  Setting it
>          to `on' means that the text of the lines being edited will
>          scroll horizontally on a single screen line when they are
>          longer than the width of the screen, instead of wrapping onto
>          a new screen line.  By default, this variable is set to `off'.
>
>Just deleting this line will 'repair' bash.
>HTH
>--
>V.Rudenko
>PS. Sorry for my bad English

Rudenko is on to something.  I can make my bash shell duplicate what you
describe by doing the command:

bind  'set horizontal-scroll-mode on'

In my shell.   You might investigate  the bash documentation and look
for settings in you .inputrc, .bashrc and IIRC /etc/inputrc....

I've just expended my limited knowledge.  Hope this helps.