[FC4] [VIM] Problem with color syntax and other under root

Richard England rengland at europa.com
Fri Oct 7 06:54:33 UTC 2005

Constantin CHARISSIS wrote:

>Hi,
>
>I have a problem with color syntaxing not working under vim only with the
>root user.
>Autoindent/smartindent is also not working under root only
>
>.vimrc of both root and normal user :
>
>set nocompatible
>set bs=2
>set expandtab
>syntax on
>set tabstop=2
>set autoindent
>set smartindent
>set shiftwidth=2
>set ruler
>set showmatch
>set encoding=latin9
>set fileencodings=latin9
>
>TERM=linux for both
>
>With the user : color syntax and indent is working
>With root : color syntax and indent is not working
>
>What is strange is that my 2 chars tab is working under root...
>
>I'm running FC4 i386 updated.
>
>[root at tux ~]# rpm -qa "vim*"
>vim-minimal-6.3.086-0.fc4
>vim-enhanced-6.3.086-0.fc4
>vim-common-6.3.086-0.fc4
>
>Using "strace vim" under root shows that vim reads the .vimrc without
>problem.
>
>Any idea about this problem ?
>
>Constantin Charissis
>DATASWIFT

Constantin,

Are you certain your path for root and user are letting you get to the
same version of VIM?

If you have not found a solution, you might consider visiting  this URL
http://www.vim.org/community.php and subscribing to the VIM mailing
list.  It's at least as helpful as this one and more likely to help you
solve a VIM specific issue.