ati graphics on laptops

David Becker dbecker at online.nl
Fri Oct 7 10:02:45 UTC 2005

Caleb B. Warta wrote:
> On Fri, 2005-10-07 at 10:14 +0200, Klaasjan Brand wrote:
>> On 10/10/05, Caleb B. Warta <caleb at tekhawk.com> wrote:
>>         does anyone know how to get a ati radoen xpress 200M graphics
>>         chipset to
>>         work with 3d exceleration in fedora core 4 final
>>
>> It's explained at: http://www.fedorafaq.org/#radeon
>>
>>  Klaasjan
>>

>> --
>
> i did that and i get 250 frames per second
> i should be getting musch more then that i cant even run most of my gl
> screen savers

Why should you get higher fps? The ATI 200M is an x300 derivative, most
likely using shared memory without any onboard memory, so everything
goes over the PCI Express bus.

For OpenGL you want to avoid 200M, x300(se), x600(se), nVidia 6200 TC.
ATI's HyperMemory or nVidia's Turbo Cache quickly leads to poor OpenGL
performance.

Better is radeon x700 (avoid any 'SE' edition), GeForce 6600 or higher.

	David