adding disk space to LVM

Markku Kolkka markkuk at tuubi.net
Fri Oct 7 12:37:50 UTC 2005

Peter Lesterhuis kirjoitti viestissään (lähetysaika perjantai, 7.
lokakuuta 2005 15:10):
> I am running out of free disk space, so I tried to add disk
> space to my LVG. I formatted 40 Gb to ext3-filesystem and
> added this to my LVG.

If you want to add a disk or partition to your LVM, you should
not format it. Change the partition type to 0x8e and initialize
it with pvcreate, then add it to LVM with vgextend.

> The name of this new partition os
> LogVol02.

No, that's not possible. A logical volume isn't a disk partition.

> It was not automatically mounting during reboot. I put a line
> in /etc/fstab: /dev/hda7               /mnt/mov
> ext3    defaults         0 0 and now I can have access to the
> partition at /mnt/mov.

What's /dev/hda7? Is that the partition you are trying to add to
LVM?

You seem to be confused about the basics of LVM. Read the LVM
HOWTO: http://www.tldp.org/HOWTO/LVM-HOWTO/index.html

--
 Markku Kolkka
 markku.kolkka at iki.fi