fedora boot problem (grub?)

Timothy Murphy tim at birdsnest.maths.tcd.ie
Fri Oct 7 13:52:49 UTC 2005

Alex @ Avantel Systems wrote:

> Although my bios recognized my scsi disks, my Fedora install needed me to
> load
> drivers manually otherwise the scsi disks were not found.  After that, the
> install completes without further problems.  I asked that grub be used and
> installed on the mbr.
>
> After reboot I get "Operating System not found".
>
> Using linux rescue (again with noprobe so I can load the driver), I tried
> rewriting to the boot sector and although grub claims success, the results
> are the same - can't boot.  I've tried copying stage 1&2 to a floppy to
> make it do the boot but I get a grub prompt after stage 2 is loaded.
>
> The driver I needed during install is listed in modprobe.conf (aic7xxx)
> and I have tried re-creating initrd in various configurations
> (--preload=aic7xxx, --omit-raid-modules, etc) all with the same result -
> can't boot

I would have thought this error message meant the machine
was not reading the MBR,
and that the solution lay in the BIOS settings.

The alternative is that you have not actually installed grub
on the correct disk.

I'm no boot expert, but as I understand it
the machine has to read the MBR _before_ it loads kernel or driver.

Incidentally, I would install grub with "grub-install --recheck /dev/sda"
or even try running grub interactively,
to make sure it understands your disk setup.

--
Timothy Murphy
tel: +353-86-2336090, +353-1-2842366