system-config-users 1.2.39 broken?

Robin Laing Robin.Laing at drdc-rddc.gc.ca
Fri Oct 7 15:51:06 UTC 2005

Tim wrote:
> On Thu, 2005-10-06 at 09:25 -0600, Robin Laing wrote:
>

>>I respond that with tab completion, navagating trees or anything is
>>still allot easier than any GUI I have tried.  Tab completion can even
>>help when I get confused as it will give me a list of possible names.
>

> Using both methods, a lot, I find keyboarding around a significant pain.
> Type a few letters, hit tab, type a few more, hit tab, type a few more,
> hit tab, trying to get the right one out of various files or directories
> that start with similar characters.  It does you no good in a folder
> with a few hundred images all named something hideous like
> photo_012335234.jpeg.
>

>>If I am doing various things from the CLI, I can use the arrow keys
>>and get back to previous command via history.
>

> Again, up, up, up, up, up, edit, is more work than selecting any bunch
> of displayed files, then dragging them to the next window, or hitting
> some function button.  Even more so when you keep repeating the task.
> And, no, I'm yet to find any situation where you could script that,
> because you've got a lot of changing variables each time you do it
> (different sources, different destinations, simply a copy, a move, a
> rename as well...).
>

>>I have tried many different file managers and I still end up moving
>>back to the CLI for what I do.
>

> I've tried quite a few, and I nearly always end up using the CLI on
> Linux *because* the GUIs on it just plain suck.  Prime example,
> Nautilus.  They all look like a young software writer has had a go at
> making a file *browser*, not manager, added a few bells and whistles,
> then gave up.
>

>>And Opus looks like Nautilus.
>

> It's nothing like it.  Nautilus is just plain crap, almost as bad as
> Explorer.  Slow, and with very limited features.  It's nothing more than
> a file browser, really.
>
> For those not familiar with DOpus, a slightly closer equivalent might be
> Midnight Commander.  But even Midnight Commander is poorly featured, in
> comparison, and the TUI version is a hideous DOS-like throwback.
>
> I'm only picking on DOpus, by the way of example.  It's a GUI tool that
> does all the bells and whistles that any die hard CLI fan will do when
> managing files, it's configurable up to the hilt, but still simple to
> use.  I only wish there was a Linux version of it, but the author's not
> about to spend time on that as there's no money in it.

The last graphical file manager that I liked was Windows 3.11 file
manager.

I have not run into the problems that you have.  I guess I have used
term for so many years to manage servers that I don't think about
typing.  I find that the time to type a few letters is less than
scrolling down a few pages of icons of graphics to find that list of
files I am looking for.  The last time I tried to use any file
manager, midnight commander included, I was frustrated by the time it
took to complete my tasks.

Don't get me wrong, there are times I like a GUI tools but I guess I
just haven't found one that is fast enough for the work that I do.  I
also am pretty good at touch typing as I learned this in school in the
days before electric typewriters :)

Allot of tools I use, I don't know of any GUI for them.  Of course I
have not looked for any as they may only be plugins for some GUI file
manager.  Things like rar and unrar.

As I said, some like the GUI, others don't but to each their own.
Some like Windows and others don't.
--
Robin Laing