Multi-session CDROM access... How?

Mike McCarty mike.mccarty at sbcglobal.net
Fri Oct 7 18:12:17 UTC 2005

Robin Laing wrote:

Thanks for the kind reply. This is good info

> I understand the problem and this is an area that takes some learning.
>  I actually made a mistake in one of my posts about fixation.  I had it
> confused with finalization.  If a disk is finalized, it cannot be used
> as a multisession.  Fixation is what writes the TOC.

Well, *that* at least makes sense. But I dunno why the name "fixation"
would be chosen. It's confusing to have "fixation" and "finalization".
Too close in meaning and in sound.

[RANT MODE ON]

BTW, why do we have all these "verb turned into
adjective turned into noun" words these days, when there is already
a noun associated with the verb? For example, we have the verb
"to finish". Why not just "finish" the disc? Why verb "to finish" to
adjective "final" turned back into verb "finalize" then to noun
"finalization" rather than just use the associated verbal noun "to
finish" or "finishing"? This is showing up everywhere. It looks like
"administrator speak" to me.

We no longer complete plans, nor do we finish plans, we finalize them.
We no longer use "completion", we use "finalization". We don't talk
about a project being finished or coming to completion, we talk about
"finalizing" it.

Reminds me of Scott Adams and Dilbert!

Sheesh!

[RANT MODE OFF]

> http://simplythebest.net/info/pc/cd_writing.html
>
> As I have had problems in the past with multi-session CD's, I decided to
> take some extra time to look into this as well.
>
> I found this link to be informative.
> http://www.yolinux.com/TUTORIALS/LinuxTutorialCDBurn.html
>
> It has this about X-CDroast.
> This is easiest with X-CdRoast which can perform the necessary
> calculations but it can also be done via the command line.
>
> And this is a direct link on how to make multisession CD's with X-CDroast.
>
> http://newbiedoc.sourceforge.net/tutorials/xcdroast/multisession.html.en
>
> It points to a step to load the previous session image.  Did you do this?

Nope. And that's probably the cause. Very nice tutorial there. I've made
multisession CDROMs with xcdroast before, and the new files got added
in. But I bet that this time I didn't have the CDROM mounted.

I have used k3b on Debian-based distros (Kanotix/Knoppix) and liked
it better than xcdroast, but didn't realize there was a version for
FC2. I inadvertently found it on my FC2 install disc (2 of 4) and
bingo! it's much more intuitive to me now. It has options "Write
First Multisession" (or "Start", I forget), "Continue Multisession",
and "Finish Multisession".

> I think it is time to experiment.  I use K3B myself.

Now that I've installed it on my system (today) I'm going to
use it, too!

> It is a good day.  I learned something new.
> Why I like this forum.

It has been shown that keeping the mind active helps to prevent
Alzheimer's disease. So, it's not only fun, it's healthful!

Mike
You have found the bank of Larn.