bash scrolling problem and PS1 var

valentin antonescu valduboisvert at yahoo.com
Sat Oct 8 21:23:04 UTC 2005

>> First thank you very much for your answer. Alas, as
>>you already guessed, this doesn't address my
problem.
>>Let me try to explain it again. Long command lines
are
>> supposed to be scrolled by bash. That is, when your
>>cursor reaches the very right-hand side of the
window,
>>bash should continue the command on the next line.
In
>>my case bash doesn't behave like this and I have no
>>ideea why.
>>
>> Val
>>

>Hi Valentin,
>You wrote that bash didn't continue the command on
the new line.
>What does bash instead? Does the command scroll to
the left?
>Do you have .inputrc file in your home directory? Is
so, please
>look into this file. If .inputrc contains a line
>  set horizontal-scroll-mode on
>that is the reason of your bash behaviour. From bash
man page:

>    `horizontal-scroll-mode'
>          This variable can be set to either `on' or
`off'.  Setting
it
>          to `on' means that the text of the lines
being edited will
>          scroll horizontally on a single screen line
when they are
>          longer than the width of the screen,
instead of wrapping
onto
>          a new screen line.  By default, this
variable is set to
`off'.

>Just deleting this line will 'repair' bash.
>HTH
>--
>V.Rudenko
>PS. Sorry for my bad English

= I want to thanks again to everybody who tried to
help me. I finally found the problem and, of course,
it was my fault. It was a mistake in the PS1 var from
my .bashrc file.

 I had  export PS1='\u@\h:\[\e[032m\e[1m\]\w >
\e[0m\]'

Forgot to escape the reset command. So I change it to
export PS1='\u@\h:\[\e[32m\e[1m\]\w > \[\e[0m\]'

and bash scrolls now the content as soon as I reach
the right side of the window.

 cheers,
  Val