Anyone got a Logitech diNovo Bluetooth hub to work in HCI mode?

Alex Viskovatoff viskovatoff+list at imap.cc
Sun Oct 9 04:19:49 UTC 2005

Hello,

I am running a FC4 x86_64 system, and have acquired two Bluetooth
devices lately: a Logitech diNovo Bluetooth keyboard and mouse, and a
Palm PDA. The keyboard comes with its own Bluetooth hub, which connects
through USB. My Palm can communicate with my Fedora system with another
Bluetooth hub (a D-Link DBT-120), but not through the Logitech hub, alas.

Recent Bluetooth keyboards have two modes: one in which they function as
normal Bluetooth devices (HCI mode), and one in which their hub makes
them look like an ordinary USB keyboard (HID "proxy" mode), for the
benefit of the BIOS phase of the boot sequence (the BIOS is aware of USB
but not Bluetooth devices). My problem is that I cannot get my Fedora
system to recognize my Logitech Bluetooth hub as a Bluetooth hub: it
only sees the Bluetooth keyboard and mouse as ordinary USB devices.

The command "/usr/sbin/hid2hci" returns "No devices in HCI mode found",
and the command "/usr/sbin/hciconfig -a" shows my D-Link hub, but no
trace of the Logitech hub.

I have looked at the user mailing list at
http://www.bluez.org/lists.html , which is dedicated to the utilities
and part of the kernel having to do with Bluetooth, but I have not found
this problem come up there. So I am turning to this mailing list, on the
suspicion that this is a problem specific to Fedora.

If someone could tell me that they run Fedora but are not experiencing
this problem, I'd be very grateful.

Alex