Weird dhcpd problem

Jean-Louis Leroy jll at soundobjectlogic.com
Sun Oct 9 11:00:24 UTC 2005

I'm trying to install a DHCP server on a computer with FC4 installed
from scratch.

When I start the DHCP server with `service dhcpd start` or
`/etc/init.d/dhcpd start` it fails and I get either "Can't open lease
database /var/lib/dhcp/dhcpd.leases: Permission denied" or "Can't bind
to dhcp address: Permission denied" in /var/log/messages.

I tried investigating with lsof and netstat, without sucess; then I
ran `dhcpd -f -d eth0` and that seems to work. At least the server
starts without complaining (and says it succeeded to start in the
syslog).

Now for the surprise: next I tried `sh -x /etc/init.d/dhcpd start` and
that starts the server successfully! And so does `sh /etc/init.d/dhcpd
start`.

What's going on?

The dhcpd is the one that comes on the FC4 DVD. While googling around
I saw mentions of problems with SELinux, so before someone asks yes
it's enabled on my system (although I still have to learn what good I
can draw from it ;-)).
--
Jean-Louis Leroy
Sound Object Logic