stability help needed

Jeff Vian jvian10 at charter.net
Sun Oct 9 05:26:06 UTC 2005

On Wed, 2005-10-05 at 17:26 -0400, Cecil Thornhill wrote:
> It may be that the hardware I have access to for testing is just going
> to be a problem, but I suspect there are some configuration changes I
> need that I have not been able to find. I am trying to get familiar
> with the latest features of FC4 using the default security mode (my
> RH4 WS config was created with SE off as I was duplicating an older RH
> system). I wanted to do this before revising my other systems to use
> the SE features.
>
> I did a Fedora Core 4 install on an Asus A7V600, 512MB RAM, AMD Athlon
> based MB I had access to with an ATI Radeon 9200SE display and an SATA
> 80GB drive. The box was a stable (well as much as MS can be) system
> under XP Pro, so I did not think twice about using it.
>
> My results under RH WS and FC4 have been similar - the system installs
> with no issue and does run with no issues I can see related to SE. My
> trouble is that any time I go to update the system in an X terminal
> window or via a GUI it has a seg fault. I finaly decided (after
> testing several installs) to try a default FC4 install then go into
> the emergency term to use YUM and do the post install update. That
> worked fine - so I now suspect the issue is related to X or some
> interaction with X and the built in ethernet on the system. My guess
> is it is a driver issue, but confirming this appears tricky.

I believe there have been several threads on this list about problems
with the radeon driver.  You do not say if you are using the driver from
ATI or the one in X, but several have said that it is possible to have a
stable system with the radeon cards when using the vesa driver.  I would
not suspect the network drivers/hardware at all.

Do a search on the archive and you should see several discussions.

Sorry I cannot help first hand since I use a GeForce card with the
nvidia driver and it works with no errors when using the driver from
Nvidia for the graphics under X.