Help installing Fedora

jludwig wralphie at comcast.net
Sun Oct 9 05:44:54 UTC 2005

On Thursday 06 October 2005 23:33, James Van Dooren wrote:
> I have an IBM laptop that is running win2000. I have a 30gig harddrive
> loaded with Dynamic Disk Overlay to correct the problem of the large disk
> size with the older laptop. I want to install fedora or some other linux
> flavor on laptop but am having problem with MBR. Can anyone suggest a
> workaround. Any help will be greatly appreciated.
As far as the hard drive size, Linux does not care about the whole hard drive
not being seen by the bios, as long as the kernel 'et al' is in the lower
1024 cylinders.

After getting past the select keyboard and mouse, booting installation disk
cdrom, cntl-alt-f2 will 	give you a command prompt.

Do the following;

dd if=/dev/	hda of=bootsect bs=512 count=1

This should clear the drive of all remnants of the MBR.