Weird dhcpd problem

Tim ignored_mailbox at yahoo.com.au
Sun Oct 9 08:50:21 UTC 2005

On Sun, 2005-10-09 at 07:00 -0400, Jean-Louis Leroy wrote:
> I'm trying to install a DHCP server on a computer with FC4 installed
> from scratch.
>
> When I start the DHCP server with `service dhcpd start` or
> `/etc/init.d/dhcpd start` it fails and I get either "Can't open lease
> database /var/lib/dhcp/dhcpd.leases: Permission denied" or "Can't bind
> to dhcp address: Permission denied" in /var/log/messages.

In the past DHCPD wouldn't start up without their being
a /var/lib/dhcp/dhcpd.leases file, and you used to have to "touch" that
filename to create something, in the first place.  I don't recall having
to do that with FC4 (it was a clean install onto a new HDD).  But
creating an empty file, with the right permissions (hmm, runs as root)
would be the first thing that I would try with error messages like that.

I didn't start my DHCPD server until after I'd finished setting up FC4,
one thing that I did in the meantime was go through the "security level"
configuration GUI, and adjust any SELinux parameters that I thought
appropriate to my server, likewise for firewalling (block world access
to local-only servers, allow LAN access, etc.).

I read messages from the public lists.