Fedora Core DNS

Maung Nanda Linn Aung nandalinnaung at gmail.com
Sun Oct 9 10:46:50 UTC 2005

Hello,
This sounds a bit crazy, i am very novice in linux and trying to learn
linux.
I am now testing all the basic services installed on my machine..
Using on my laptop, XP home is based OS
running Fedora on Emulator ...
How do i know whether my DNS is setup properly?
because i tried to add zone and reverse zone in my /etc/named.conf
and then, i tried nslookup and it doesn't work
once i put

>server localhost
then nslookup will show it right.
such as
Default server: localhost
Address: 127.0.0.1#53
then
>www.testserver.com <http://www.testserver.com>
server: localhost
address: 127.0.0.1#53

Name: www.testserver.com <http://www.testserver.com>
address: 127.0.0.1 <http://127.0.0.1>

my domainname is testserver and i created testserver.hosts under /var/named
to give SOA.. and i added things in system-config-bind under the
www.testserver.com <http://www.testserver.com> , ADD, IPv4 address.. such as

mail.testserver.com <http://mail.testserver.com>
ftp.testserver.com<http://ftp.testserver.com>

Because i am supposed to config all the services (DNS, httpd, ftp, mail,
etc) in fedora.. but i do not have real ip address to configure, so i just
wanted to know how to make my DNS server work without using static ip
address. This is actually for my school project...which needs internet
server, intranet sever and workstation for SME environment..we have to do
documentation, admin man, user man, and docs like tldp.org <http://tldp.org>
.

Thanks in advance.

Best Regards,