I cannot open ".jpg" file with eog

Jim Duda jim at duda.tzo.com
Sun Oct 9 15:06:04 UTC 2005

jim> file IMG_0289.JPGs
IMG_0289.JPGs: JPEG image data, EXIF standard 2.2

eog MG_0289.JPGs works fine

jim> mv IMG_0289.JPGs IMG_0289.JPG
jim> file IMG_0289.JPG
IMG_0289.JPG: JPEG image data, EXIF standard 2.2

eog IMG_0289.JPG starts the eog program, however, I get a small display
with no picture.

jim> mv IMG_0289.JPG IMG_0289.jpg
jim> eog IMG_0289.jpg

This works fine too.  It appears the problem is case-sensitive with JPG.

The JPG files come from downloading them to a windows SMB share from a
digital camera.

I can write a perl script to change the file names, I just find it
odd that eog would care about this.

If I attempt to open a JPG file with nautilus by simply double clicking,
I get the message about opening such a file represents a security risk.

Jim