2 LogWatch questions

Craig Thomas cjtinhp at optonline.net
Sun Oct 9 16:50:42 UTC 2005

On Sun, 2005-10-09 at 09:24 -0700, Corey Head wrote:
> I have recently switched my sendmail over to sending
> on both port 25 and
> 587.  Since doing so, my sendmail stuff in the daily
> logwatch has been gone.
> How do I get it back?

I can't help you with the above, but:

> Also, I'm receiving this under httpd on almost a daily
> basis:
>
> Requests with error response codes
> 404 Not Found
> /robots.txt: 12 Time(s)
> Is this something I should be worried about?  Robots
> sound like 'worms' to
> me.

robots.txt is a file telling the 'robots' sent out by search engines how
to behave on your site.  You can exclude directories and files from
their indexing and that type of thing.  Google's indexing  'robot' is
called googlebot.  Inktomi is, I think, slurp. You may have a refernence
in httpd log files to these as well. Anyway, not much to worry about,
especially as you give 404 response when it is requested.

--
Craig