duplicate packages after up2date failure

Claude Jones claude_jones at levitjames.com
Sun Oct 9 22:18:16 UTC 2005

On Sun October 9 2005 5:53 pm, Damian Menscher wrote:

> We have 164 packages which are duplicated in this fashion.  Meanwhile
> up2date wants to update them (since we have the old version) but can't
> (because we have the new version).  So... I'm looking for advice on how
> to handle this.
>
> My guess is that the cleanest thing to do is remove the newer of each
> pair from the database and then run up2date, which should upgrade
> everything (fixing any old files on disk).  My proposed script for doing
> this is:
>
> for file in `rpm -qa --queryformat="%{NAME} %{ARCH}\n" | sort | uniq -c |
> grep -v "   1 " | cut -c 9- | cut -d" " -f1`; do rpm -q --last $file | head
> -1 | cut -d" " -f1; done | xargs rpm -e --justdb up2date -p
> up2date
>
> Does this look reasonable to everyone, or is there a better way to
> handle this problem?

I had this happen a couple of times. It was suggested that I install Synaptic
and apt - the Synaptic GUI is great for dealing with this exact issue. I
found it to work as advertised. When you start it up, it will auto-detect a
lot of these issues. It also offers a great interface for viewing the
multiple versions and quickly deleting the redundancies. Others will have
other suggestions, I'm sure.
--
Claude Jones
Bluemont, VA, USA