kernel source install

Jeff McKeon jsmforum at optonline.net
Sun Oct 9 23:19:36 UTC 2005

Neil,

Ok, finally worked out all the probs with wpa_supplicant (I think).

I built it and it runs however it doesn't seem to work.

I've done everything above and when I run the wpa_supplicant I get the
following.

[root at localhost wpa_supplicant-0.3.9]# wpa_supplicant -Dndiswrapper
-iwlan0 -c/etc/wpa_supplicant.conf -B -d
Initializing interface 'wlan0' conf '/etc/wpa_supplicant.conf' driver
'ndiswrapper'
Configuration file '/etc/wpa_supplicant.conf' ->
'/etc/wpa_supplicant.conf'
Reading configuration file '/etc/wpa_supplicant.conf'
ctrl_interface='/var/run/wpa_supplicant'
ap_scan=1
fast_reauth=1
Priority group 5
   id=0 ssid='nottelling'
Initializing interface (2) 'wlan0'
Own MAC address: 00:90:4b:b2:14:b1
Setting scan request: 0 sec 100000 usec
Daemonize..

[root at localhost wpa_supplicant-0.3.9]# iwconfig
lo        no wireless extensions.

eth0      no wireless extensions.

sit0      no wireless extensions.

Warning: Driver for device wlan0 has been compiled with version 18
of Wireless Extension, while this program supports up to version 17.
Some things may be broken...

wlan0     IEEE 802.11g  ESSID:off/any
          Mode:Managed  Frequency:2.437 GHz  Access Point:
00:00:00:00:00:00
          Bit Rate:54 Mb/s   Tx-Power:25 dBm
          RTS thr:2347 B   Fragment thr:2346 B
          Encryption key:off
          Power Management:off
          Link Quality:0  Signal level:0  Noise level:0

/etc/wpa_supplicant.conf
ap_scan=1
fast_reauth=1

# home network; allow all valid ciphers
network={
        ssid="thisisfake"
        scan_ssid=1
        key_mgmt=WPA-PSK
        psk="nottellin"
        priority=5
        proto=WPA
        bssid=00:0F:66:EA:1C:A9
}

Getting closer, but still not there... :o(

Thanks for all the help so far though!!

Jeff