duplicate packages after up2date failure

Matthew Saltzman mjs at ces.clemson.edu
Mon Oct 10 01:02:46 UTC 2005

On Sun, 9 Oct 2005, Tony Nelson wrote:

> At 4:53 PM -0500 10/9/05, Damian Menscher wrote:
>> My guess is that the cleanest thing to do is remove the newer of each
>> pair from the database and then run up2date, which should upgrade
>> everything (fixing any old files on disk).  My proposed script for doing
>> this is:
>> Does this look reasonable to everyone, or is there a better way to
>> handle this problem?
>
> I think I'd want to make sure that the old version packages were intact,
> with rpm -Vv, before deleting the newer ones, just in case I might be
> depending on some of them.

I didn't see the useradd issue, but in several upgrades, I've had the
%postun scriptlet fail.  In this case, it appears that the new RPM is
installed correctly (it passes --verify) and the old one is
removed--except from the databse.  I would check a few, but probably the
right move is to "rpm -e --justdb" the old file and then "rpm -Vv" the new
one.

--
 		Matthew Saltzman

Clemson University Math Sciences