nvidia GeForce 6600 driver and video problem

Mark Eggers mdeggers at gmail.com
Wed Oct 5 18:28:25 UTC 2005

On Wed, 05 Oct 2005 07:22:33 -0700, Barry Yu wrote:

> Gilboa Davara wrote:
> I used crt monitor, and the xorg.conf modification I did is according to
> README.TXT provided by the driver installation.
> I am using FC3.

Take a look at the following two sections to make sure your xorg.conf file
is set up to support 1024 x 768.

Section "Screen"
        Identifier "Screen0"
        Device     "Videocard0"
        Monitor    "Monitor0"
        DefaultDepth     24
        SubSection "Display"
                Viewport   0 0
                Depth     16
                Modes    "800x600" "640x480"
        EndSubSection
        SubSection "Display"
                Viewport   0 0
                Depth     24
                Modes    "1024x768" "800x600" "640x480"
        EndSubSection
EndSection

You can add as many Display subsections as you wish.  These are the
defaults that were set up when I installed Fedorda Core 4.

Here are my monitor settings.

Section "Monitor"
        Identifier   "Monitor0"
        VendorName   "Monitor Vendor"
        ModelName    "Dell M992"
#       DisplaySize  350        260
        DisplaySize  270.9      203.2
        HorizSync    30.0 - 96.0
        VertRefresh  50.0 - 160.0
        Option      "dpms"
EndSection

I tweaked the display size in order to get the font resolution I wanted
(96 dpi).

The reference that I use for getting fonts to look nice in X is:

http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/showthread.php?s=&threadid=257705

HTH

/mde/