ati graphics on laptops

Timothy Murphy tim at birdsnest.maths.tcd.ie
Mon Oct 10 12:24:11 UTC 2005

David Becker wrote:

> Maybe your graphics controller has 64MB on board. If so, then it likely
> can augment at least that amount from system memory. What laptop do use?

Question from a graphics ignoramus -
how do you get all this information about the graphics controller?

"sudo lspci -vvv" tells me that my Sony C1VFK Picturebook has
00:0d.0 VGA compatible controller: ATI Technologies Inc Rage Mobility P/M
(rev 64) (prog-if 00 [VGA])
        Subsystem: Sony Corporation: Unknown device 80af
        Control: I/O+ Mem+ BusMaster+ SpecCycle- MemWINV- VGASnoop- ParErr-
Stepping+ SERR- FastB2B-
<TAbort- <MAbort- >SERR- <PERR-
        Latency: 66 (2000ns min), Cache Line Size 08
        Interrupt: pin A routed to IRQ 9
        Region 0: Memory at fd000000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=16M]
        Region 1: I/O ports at 1400 [size=256]
        Region 2: Memory at fc105000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=4K]
        [virtual] Expansion ROM at 0b000000 [disabled] [size=128K]
        Capabilities: [5c] Power Management version 1
                Flags: PMEClk- DSI- D1+ D2+ AuxCurrent=0mA
PME(D0-,D1-,D2-,D3hot-,D3cold-)
and that is about all I know.
There doesn't seem to be any more information available in /proc .

The various programs for configuring X, eg system-config-display ,
have never given me any useful information,
I've always assumed because the graphics card
did not give information back when queried.

I'd love to know more about this,
if anyone could point me in the right direction ...

--
Timothy Murphy
tel: +353-86-2336090, +353-1-2842366