Upnp

Tim ignored_mailbox at yahoo.com.au
Mon Oct 10 16:09:37 UTC 2005

On Sun, 2005-10-09 at 11:10 +0200, Eric Tanguy wrote:
> How Upnp is or will be included in fc4? I mean how is it possible to
> discover automatically?? upnp netwoek devices ?

In some ways I hope it doesn't happen.  It's a stupid solution to a
stupid problem:  Various things not working behind NAT, or other
networking techniques.  So rather than design them better, we insert
some other gizmo to try and manage connections through it for us.  Its
really big problem is that you have to let just about everything through
the firewall for it to work, as it uses random ports all over the place.
That's a very stupid way to stuff up your security.

I read messages from the public lists.