Network-Scripts/ifcfg-eth1:1 Problem

Robert L Cochran cochranb at speakeasy.net
Mon Oct 10 20:23:48 UTC 2005

I'm working on replacing my current router machine with a new one. The
old machine runs Red Hat 9, and has 2 network cards in it: one for the
internal network and the second for the big wide Internet. The second
card has two network-scripts associated with it: ifcfg-eth1 and
ifcfg-eth1:1. The reason is to associate a second IP address with the
network card.

I've duplicated this on the new machine, which is running Fedora Core 4.
When I gave it a "trial run" last night, though, eth1 gave a lot of
"martian source" type errors and appeared to be dead. I've replaced the
card with a new one. I haven't connected it to the network yet, so I
don't know if it will really work.

My question is: under Fedora Core 4, is using a configuration script
called ifcfg-eth1:1 to associate a second ip address with eth1 still valid?

Thanks

Bob Cochran