Logs

akonstam at trinity.edu akonstam at trinity.edu
Mon Oct 10 21:47:38 UTC 2005

On Mon, Oct 10, 2005 at 09:29:18PM +0100, David Henry Wild wrote:
> On Sat, 2005-10-08 at 17:36 +0930, Tim wrote:
> > On Thu, 2005-10-06 at 14:23 +0100, David Henry Wild wrote:
> > > I've done this to redirect mail to another, non Linux, computer which
> > > is on my network by sending it to dhwild at talktalk.net. The message
> > > actually arrives, attached to an error message which says that it
> > > should have a real email address rather than root at localhost.
> > >
> > > How do I arrange that, please?
> >
> > If you were using sendmail, you'd configure it masquerade mail as coming
> > from a particular domain (a real one).  I can't say how, I've only read
> > what's involved, not actually done it.
> >
> Thanks - I thought it might be something like that. Has anyone done it?

I came in late so I don't know what the original question but if you
have a statement like this in /etc/mail/sendmail.mc
MASQUERADE_AS(trinity.edu)dnl
and then run: make -C /etc/mail
Your /etc/mail/sendmail.cf file will have a line in it like:
DMtrinity.edu
and if you restart sendmail all your mail be sent coming from the
domain trinity.edu. Obviously you need to change trinity.edu to the
domain you want your mail to come from by default.

You are in a maze of little twisting passages, all alike.
Aaron Konstam
Computer Science
Trinity University
telephone: (210)-999-7484