iptables script migration from Red Hat 9 To Fedora Core 4

Robert L Cochran cochranb at speakeasy.net
Tue Oct 11 01:03:41 UTC 2005

Kenneth Porter wrote:

> --On Monday, October 10, 2005 8:11 PM -0400 Robert L Cochran
> <cochranb at speakeasy.net> wrote:
>
>> I have an iptables script that works well under the Red Hat 9 version of
>> iptables, but which does not seem to work under the Fedora Core 4
>> version. For example, the script defines the external DNS server for my
>> ISP, and when I run it, I get messages that various external servers
>> were
>> not found, e.g.
>>
>> " 'server.myisp.net' not found"
>

> What's the source of the script? If hand-coded, then consulting with
> the netfilter/iptables people might be called for, to see what changed
> from the old package to the new. You might want to put the script on a
> web page for people to inspect.

The script was adapted from one provided by Robert Ziegler in his book
"Linux Firewalls". I've just begun realizing that this script was meant
to run under a 2.4 kernel, which Red Hat 9 has. Fedora Core 4 is using
the 2.6 kernel, of course. Maybe it's time for me to post the script to
the netfilter mailing list and see what they advise.

Bob