can I make a reset-at-will box?

Mike McCarty mike.mccarty at sbcglobal.net
Tue Oct 11 05:31:47 UTC 2005

Benjamin Donnachie wrote:

> Tim wrote:
>
>>>Use a journalising file system such as ext3?
>>
>>I do, but during testing (where I've hit the reset button and pulled out
>>the power leads), I've seen warnings about not being shutdown properly
>>and fsck should be done on the drive.  I don't know how much I can
>>ignore such warnings, and just carry on hoping for the best.
>

> I've had to yank the power cable out of the back of my server a few
> times [All my fault!] and, despite the warning message, all has been
> well.  In fact, I'm fairly sure that you can turn the warning off - I'll
> have a dig around and let you know if I find how.
>

>>It'd be better if there was no need to "recover", that the drive was
>>only being written to if you were actually saving data to it.
>

> Sounds pretty much like a journalising file system - either all of the
> write is completed, or none; no (in theory!) inconsistent state.

This statement is naive at best. If power fails while a disc write
is in progress, the disc can scribble on the disc at locations
far removed from where the write was intended to take place.
No file system can be expected to be able to recover from random
writes to random locations.

BTW, PGP has its uses. I *don't* think this forum is one of them.

Mike
You have found the bank of Larn.