ati graphics on laptops

Joel Jaeggli joelja at darkwing.uoregon.edu
Tue Oct 11 15:10:46 UTC 2005

On Tue, 11 Oct 2005, David Becker wrote:

> Steffen Kluge wrote:
>> On Tue, 2005-10-11 at 09:32 +0200, David Becker wrote:
>>> Sorry if I sound like I'm whining over this, but the market has become
>>> so untransparent because of these architectures.
>>
>> No worries, this is very interesting.
>>
>> Btw, "lcpci -v" reports 128MB of memory for the X300, I assume 64MB
>> on-board + 64MB extra?
>>
>> Strangely, the "stolen" 64MB aren't missing in the output of "free" (as
>> is the case with shared video memory adapters).
>
> It could be that 128MB reflects the graphics card's addressable memory
> while the extra 64MB is not actually in use.
> You'd have to run something that uses more than 64MB VRAM and then check
> the available system memory. It's not unlikely that the hypermemory is
> reflected differently than shared memory.

radeon x300 mobile parts are available in 3 flavors...

32mb, 64mb, discrete... while the discrete part could potetially have no
memory attached, it would be more common for it to have some attached.
dell for example  sells the inspiron 6000 with x300's that have either
no memory (64MB hypermemory they call it) or 128MB. desktop x300's with
256MB of ram do exist, though why you would get one is another question
entirely.

Joel Jaeggli  	       Unix Consulting 	       joelja at darkwing.uoregon.edu