Starting programs as another user

Darragh Bailey daragh.bailey at gmail.com
Tue Oct 11 16:16:16 UTC 2005

> Thanks, Craig. You saved me hours of googling I think.
>
> Must I restart something for this to take effect? I am still being
> asked for a password. Normally I would just reboot without asking such
> a redundant question, but in my experience (how little it is), this
> should not be nessacary. And to restart now would be a pain as I am in
> the middle of other things...
>
> I tried populating visudo with both methods, after creating the group
> "pals" and making both dotancohen and work members, but no go.
>
> Dotan

You need to log out and log in again, or start another session as the user
dotancohen. In the new session the user will receive the updated groups
information.

If anyone has come across how to update any existing sessions with new group
information it would be handy.

If you open an xterm from your current session, and type "groups" you should
still find that you do not appear to be in the group pals.

--
Darragh Bailey
"Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool"