Network Performance and Stress Testing

Brian D. McGrew brian at visionpro.com
Tue Oct 11 17:01:20 UTC 2005

Good morning:

Let's say I've got two Dell 1800 servers and each one of these servers
has dual gigabit Ethernet connections.  The first connection on each
server is connected to the corporate network at 100MB.  The second
connection is a cross-over between the two machines running at 1GB.  One
machine is running Fedora Core 3 and the other is running Redhat
Enterprise Linux 3.

I need to stress test and performance test this configuration by
continuously moving large files back and forth under various processor
loads for a given length of time and be able to show the results when
completed.

What are the best practices for the situation?  Is there open source
software out there to accomplish this or do I need to write something?
I can think of a couple of shell script configurations to do this but
I'd rather not reinvent the wheel if I don't have to.

Thanks,

-brian

Brian D. McGrew ( brian at visionpro.com || brian at doubledimension.com )
---