Starting programs as another user

Dotan Cohen dotancohen at gmail.com
Tue Oct 11 20:27:26 UTC 2005

On 10/11/05, Darragh Bailey <daragh.bailey at gmail.com> wrote:

> > Thanks, Craig. You saved me hours of googling I think.
> >
> > Must I restart something for this to take effect? I am still being
> > asked for a password. Normally I would just reboot without asking such
> > a redundant question, but in my experience (how little it is), this
> > should not be nessacary. And to restart now would be a pain as I am in
> > the middle of other things...
> >
> > I tried populating visudo with both methods, after creating the group
> > "pals" and making both dotancohen and work members, but no go.
> >
> > Dotan
> >

>  You need to log out and log in again, or start another session as the user
> dotancohen. In the new session the user will receive the updated groups
> information.
>
>  If anyone has come across how to update any existing sessions with new
> group information it would be handy.
>
>  If you open an xterm from your current session, and type "groups" you
> should still find that you do not appear to be in the group pals.

Well, I restarted the machine and no luck- I still get prompted for a
password when I am dotancohen trying to open a program as work. What
could I check to see where the problem is, assuming that I made the
correct changes to visudo and added dotancohen and work to the group
pals correctly?

Dotan
http://IE-only.com