3c589 Works w/Knoppix 3.9 & 4.0.2 But Not FC4

Cliff Savage cliff at acsalaska.net
Wed Oct 12 03:05:18 UTC 2005

HP Pavillion ze4125 laptop.
On board enet and 3c589 pcmcia both hook to source of DHCP.

I can boot Knoppix 3.9 or 4.0.2 and both ethernet
ports are recognized - they get an ip addy and I can surf.
I can unplug one...and then the other...rebooting each time
and I can surf.

This tells me that the 3c589 pcmcia card is known good.

Knoppix sees the 3c589 as eth0, and the onboard enet as eth1.
FC4 sees the 3c589 as eth1, and the onboard enet as eth0.
(exactly reversed)

What is knoppix filching out right that
FC4 is doing incorrectly?

Unfortunately I cannot take a look @ the pcmcia config
file 'cause it's knoppix.

I'd be glad to post some incantations, but which ones ?
I could only post incantations from FC4 which would be incorrect
I assume....since I can't dig into the knoppix fle system.

Thank you folks!