Strategy for /tmp and /home Partitioning

leam at reuel.net leam at reuel.net
Wed Oct 12 03:55:01 UTC 2005

Easier way.

1. Add the new disk, partition it however you want. 2 partitions, one for /home, one for /tmp. Make the filesystems.

2. As root, cp -Rp things over. Best to have as little activity as possible. That is, not running X, not getting e-mail.

3. Make a backup copy of /etc/fstab and then edit the new one to point to the new /dev/hdb/??.

4. Re-boot.  If something is amiss you have the old ones to recover to. If, after a week or so you've not needed them you can resue the space.

ciao!

leam