Strategy for /tmp and /home Partitioning

Marcin Struzak marcin-list at struzak.com
Wed Oct 12 05:28:43 UTC 2005

> I guess I didn't make myself quite clear on this point. I want ONE (1)
> ONE partition on the new disc. I don't want an explicit limit on either
> /home or /tmp. I want them to share the disc. So a major part of my
> question really revolves around whether I can make /tmp be a
> soft link to /home/tmp when /home is a mount point for another
> fs.

I have never tried it, but I can't see why this cannot be done; both /home
and /tmp would be loaded from fstab, and should be available quite early on.
The only problematic moment is definitely at boot time, so the good thing is
that you'll find out something's screwed up at the first reboot after
repartitioning!

But -- just curious -- why would you want to do that this way?  I am
migrating my partitions to

   /
   /boot
   /usr
   /home
   /var

so that /tmp comes with /, and really is available right at the beginning,
when / is mounted; just like /etc.  I've also seen /usr/local being loaded
from another partition, and /opt, but these are more Solaris-like setups,
Fedora does not put much into /usr/local.

--Marcin