gnome-panel error message won't go away

wwp subscript at free.fr
Wed Oct 12 14:01:33 UTC 2005

Hello Laurence,

On Wed, 12 Oct 2005 14:41:43 +0100 Laurence <laurence at orchards.org.uk> wrote:

> On Sat, 2005-10-08 at 15:45 -0400, Bill Perkins wrote:
> > Laurence wrote:

> > > Hi
> > >
> > > there are no copies running prior to starting X and login on.
> > >
> > > They seem to start when the session begins, but once started then
> > > restart each time they are killed or when the error message is responded
> > >
> > > Laurence
> > >

> > Hmmm... I don't know how Gnome starts itself up (new to FC4 and Gnome),
> > but there is probably something in the startup files that is causing this.
> >

> Hi All Again
>
> Stil not got a fix for this.
>
> Can anyone tell me where to find the source?
> I've searched the yum lists but can't find it

I regularly encounter such redundant gnome-panel error when I try to set
a .png as wallpaper. I get an error saying that the application gnome-panel
has quit unexpectedly. And another dialog saying "I've detected a panel
already running and will now exit". if I close that late dialog, I'll get it
again and again..

The way to get rid of this: move the 2nd dialog so that you can see the
former one, and click the close button (middle one here) of the 1st dialog to
terminate the current instance of gnome-panel. Now close the 2nd dialog, this
starts another instance that will raise after a few seconds.

Funny problem, isn't it? Does it help?

Regards,

--
wwp