FC4 screen resolution problem

Jonathan Berry berryja at gmail.com
Wed Oct 12 15:25:55 UTC 2005

On 10/12/05, Jean François Ortolo <ortolojf at free.fr> wrote:
[snip]
> Section "Device"
>         Identifier  "Videocard0"
>         Driver      "vesa"
>         VendorName  "ASUS"
>         BoardName   "GeForce 6200 TurboCache(TM)"
>         videoram    0
> EndSection

I doubt you will get very high screen resolution with the vesa driver.
 I highly suggest that you install the nvidia driver and use it.  To
do that, install the driver as root, then change the "vesa" above to
"nvidia" and start X.  By the way, are you running 32-bit FC4 or
64-bit?  I also highly suggest 64-bit since you have an Athlon64 in
which case you will need to get the x86_64 nvidia driver.  I don't
know if the "nv" driver works with the newer cards, but you could also
try that one if you do not want to install the nvidia binary driver.

> Section "Screen"
>         Identifier "Screen0"
>         Device     "Videocard0"
>         Monitor    "Monitor0"
>         DefaultDepth     24
>         SubSection "Display"
>                 Viewport   0 0
>                 Depth     16
>                 Modes    "800x600" "640x480"
>         EndSubSection
>         SubSection "Display"
>                 Viewport   0 0
>                 Depth     24
>                 Modes    "800x600" "640x480"
>         EndSubSection
> EndSection

You will need to add in the modes you want to use too, as has been stated.

[snip]

>   Jean Francois Ortolo

Jonathan