STILL Unable to use YUM to update - FIXED!!

John Moore database1 at qualitycareforchildren.org
Wed Oct 12 16:04:00 UTC 2005

On Tue, 2005-10-11 at 15:40 -0600, Spencer Kellis wrote:
> it's also easy to get a new yum.conf.  you can download one from
> http://www.fedorafaq.org/fc3/#installsoftware (I use this one and it
> does pretty well).
>
> that's just in case the yum.conf~ is corrupt as well.
>
> good luck,
> spencer
>
> On 10/11/05, Tony Nelson <tonynelson at georgeanelson.com> wrote:
>         At 4:56 PM -0400 10/11/05, John Moore wrote:
>         >The yum.conf exists BUT it is listed in the /etc directory as
>         yum.conf~
>         >(tilde).  I tried (as described above) to rename it but it
>         won't rename.
>         >Can I change the permissions on this file (to what exactly
>         and how) OR do
>         >I delete the file?  Some other option?
>
>         That is, /etc/yum.conf does not exist, but there is a file
>         named
>         /etc/yum.conf~ that isn't being used by anything.  Such files
>         normally
>         result from an editor renaming the original file as a backup
>         when saving
>         changes to a new origina file.  If that backup file contains
>         anything
>         useful, you might try mv'ing or cp'ing it to /etc/yum.conf, as
>         root.  You
>         can't do it as a normal user.
>         ____________________________________________________________________
>         TonyN.:'
>         <mailto:tonynelson at georgeanelson.com>
>               '
>         <http://www.georgeanelson.com/>

>         --
>

> --
> www.spencerkellis.net
> --

10.12.2005

Hey Spencer.

Just tried using your yum.conf but it was for Fedora Core 3 and didn't
work.  Of course, had I googled the problem, like I just did, you get
taken to the Unofficial Fedora Core FAQ.  To any who have their yum.conf
corrupted or deleted (mine seems to have been wiped out via the
installation of the latest kernel), this is what you do:

Login as root
open up a terminal
cd /etc
rm -f yum.conf
wget http://www.fedorafaq.org/samples/yum.conf
rpm -Uvh http://www.fedorafaq.org/yum

The rm command removes any vestiges of your yum.conf file, the wget
command gets you a new one and the rpm command installs it.

Then at the command line, do:

yum upgrade

You should be good to go.

John Moore
Manager, IS
Quality Care for Children
Atlanta, GA

Thanks Spencer and others for all of your help!!

John Moore
Manager, IS
Quality Care for Children
Atlanta, GA