Strategy for /tmp and /home Partitioning

Tim ignored_mailbox at yahoo.com.au
Wed Oct 12 18:40:49 UTC 2005

On Tue, 2005-10-11 at 22:45 -0500, Mike McCarty wrote:

> I've been considering how one could put /tmp and /home on another
> disc from that containing /etc and other areas necessary for
> boot.
>
> I've thought about possibly adding a disc, and putting a file system
> on it. Then emptying out /home, and mounting the new file
> system to /home. On the new file system, I'd also have a directory
> which would be, after the mount, /home/tmp. Then make /tmp be a
> soft link to this directory.
>
> Would this work? Or is there some dependency on /tmp actually being
> present before auto mounts take place?

With the distros I've seen, /tmp is something that can be mounted on a
partition.  Sometimes that's even a recommendation!  So, as far as I can
see, /tmp doesn't have to be around until /etc/fstab has been paid
attention to.

On top of that, /home isn't used until well after you've booted up.  So
I'd expect any links inside it, like you've suggested, ought to be fine.
Though I can't see why you want it inside /home.

I read messages from the public lists.