system lock up

Benjamin Franz snowhare at nihongo.org
Wed Oct 12 20:33:51 UTC 2005

On Wed, 12 Oct 2005, chris wrote:

[...]
> I dont see anything out of the ordinary that something is wrong, I can let
> the system sit for days and it runs fine, but when I start doing work on it,
> I start seeing the freezes (it froze up twice in about 3 hours today).  But
> sometimes I can work several days in a row without a problem.
>
> I would like any ideas on how to debug this.

> My System:
> Motherboard: IWill DP533
> Processors: Dual 2.4GHz Xeon 533MHZ processors
> Video: ATI Radeon 6500LE
> Hard Drive: several small external SCSI Hard drives
> Memory: 1G RAM
> O/S: Fedora Core 4

I would look at your power supply. If you have a spare high wattage (480
Watt or bigger) P/S handy, I would try swapping it. A flaky power supply
can cause random crashing - particularly under load. Other things that
commonly cause random crashes on previously stable systems are overheating
and bad RAM.

--
Benjamin Franz

Simple things should be simple, complex things should be possible.
                                          - Alan Kay