ELF Binary Stripper?

Mike McCarty mike.mccarty at sbcglobal.net
Wed Oct 12 20:47:22 UTC 2005

Rahul Sundaram wrote:

Thank you for your kind reply.

> Hi
>

>> RH, if you ever listen to your users, you should listen now.

I wonder whether this thread has achieved all it can.

> I am not sure posting to users list would be a effective way to send in
> feedback to Fedora developers. Your opinion is that the tool is useless

I responded on-list to a message from Ulrich Drepper, who in his sig
claims to represent Red Hat. Why is that not an effective way to
get someone who claims to represent Red Hat to listen?

> because of defects, perceived or real in it. If you find bugs, report
> them. If you dont understand the benefits of a tool, ask or help
> document them better. I am sure everyone would appreciate your
> contributions. Claiming that its useless just because it doesnt provide
> the documentation you are looking for is a bad assumption.  If you want

I really didn't make myself clear, earlier. I'm not going to re-post
the longer message, I'm sure you'll see it soon. The entire concept
of going around periodically munging executables is a bad idea
ab initio. The program does not need fixing, it needs removing.

[snip]

> The need for users and system administrators to stay in control of the
> system is important but you can always turn off prelink if you feel its
> not beneficial to you and by the way, any discussions in this list would
> be informal and should generally not assumed to be representative of any
> organisation.

We clearly agree on this.

But philosophy of where FC should be going does not belong on bugzilla.
And that is the topic I was trying to pursue.
Do you know of a better forum where one should post messages which
say "FC is headed in the wrong direction. It needs to turn."?

Mike
You have found the bank of Larn.