FC4 DVD boot options question, problem booting on an ASRock P4VM800

Zoltan Boszormenyi zboszor at freemail.hu
Wed Oct 12 22:06:25 UTC 2005

Hi,

I have both the original FC4 DVD and an updated disk
that I created with the released FC4 updates. Both disks
booted and installed successfully on several machines to date.

However, I have a machine near me that refuses to install
FC4 from either disks. The machine has an ASRock P4VM800
mainboard, and a NEC DVD-RW. The kernel panics on boot
saying that is cannot find its root device. Booting with

linux root=/dev/hdc

also panics saying it cannot find init. hdc is the NEC DVD-RW,
hda is the harddisk.

I upgraded BIOS on this machine from 1.10 to 1.30 but still
gives me the above. The memory was originally faulty in the
machine and the kernel paniced much earlier. The memory was
replaced since then, memtest shows no errors.

How can I convince the machine to boot and install FC4?

Best regards,
Zoltán Böszörményi