Why wont this script run??

Benjamin Franz snowhare at nihongo.org
Thu Oct 13 12:16:37 UTC 2005

On Thu, 13 Oct 2005, Søren Neigaard wrote:

> Benjamin Franz wrote:
>> On Thu, 13 Oct 2005, S�ren Neigaard wrote:
>>
>>> I have made a diff on the original httpd.conf and my problematic
>>> version, and attached it to this mail. I hope one of you guys can help
>>> me out here, why wont apache start with this httpd.conf? Is it because
>>> of the www user maybe (even though its a bit oftopic)?
>>

>> Look at your error log: /var/log/httpd/error_log (unless you have changed
>> it to somewhere else).
>>
>> It will very likely have an error message specifying the problem.
>
> It says nothing in that logfile, i think that the script runs some check on
> my httpd.conf file before it even attempts to start httpd, and this check
> fails, even though httpd likes my httpd.conf
>
> Any ideas?

You have a configuration error that is not a syntax error. Typically I've
found 'silent deaths' tend to be things like log files being placed in
directories that don't exist or permissions errors. Check that every
file/directory explicitly referenced in your configuration file actually
exists and has appropriate permissions. Don't just visually scan the
httpd.conf - actually 'cut and paste' the names in the file to something
like a 'ls' command to verify you haven't typoed a file/directory name.

Also, check /var/log/messages to find out if SELinux doesn't like
something you are doing.

--
Benjamin Franz

Simple things should be simple, complex things should be possible.
                                          - Alan Kay