how to drive infocus projector from hi-res dell laptop running FC4?

Joel Jaeggli joelja at darkwing.uoregon.edu
Thu Oct 13 15:36:17 UTC 2005

On Thu, 13 Oct 2005, Robert P. J. Day wrote:

>  i want to give a short demo off of my dell inspiron 9100 (LCD
> 1920x1200 resolution), so i hooked up its video port to an infocus
> projector and, not surprisingly, the native resolution of the laptop
> is overwhelming the projector (you can sort of see the screen image
> but it's not pretty).

If you have multiple modes in the display section in your xorg.conf you
should be able step through them using control-alt-plus and minus the
viewport will be a small fraction of the 1920x1200 display (you'll be able
to fly around using the mouse) but it works.

When I have to do presentations (I have an inspiron 6000 with 1920x1200
display) I typically run a another xserver on display :1 with a
viewport/resolution that natively matches that of the projector (either
800x600 or 1024x768) that way I edit my presentations on display :0 and
switch over to :1 when it's time to plug into the projector and present.

Joel Jaeggli  	       Unix Consulting 	       joelja at darkwing.uoregon.edu