ELF Binary Stripper?

John Wendel john.wendel at metnet.navy.mil
Thu Oct 13 18:08:51 UTC 2005

Ron Yorston wrote:
> John Wendel wrote:
>
>>OK, I ran it again. "time prelink -av --force > foo"
>>I took 2 minutes 42 seconds, CPU was 16 seconds. Again, only one line
>>in the output file.
>

> This is very puzzling.  What happens if you run "prelink -uav" first,
> to undo any existing prelinking?
>
> Ron

[1] Ran "prelink -uav". It ran for 2 minutes 45 seconds and produced a
lot of disk noise but no output.

[2] Rebooted.

[3] Ran "prelink -av --force".  Same result as before, it ran for a
few minutes and produced 1 line of output.

I checked /usr/bin and /usr/lib, the timestamps on the files haven't
been updated. Does a normal prelink run cause the file timestamps to
be changed?

I'm baffled! Any more suggestions?

Regards,

John