Webcam application in FC-4?

Bob Goodwin bobgoodwin at att.net
Thu Oct 13 22:17:40 UTC 2005

M Daniel R M wrote:

>El jue, 13-10-2005 a las 06:27 +0200, Eric Tanguy escribió:
>

>>Le mercredi 12 octobre 2005 à 20:15 -0400, Bob Goodwin a écrit :
>>

>>>Is there an application in FC4 that will permit the making of a still
>>>picture with a cheap USB webcam?
>>>
>>>Bob Goodwin   w2bod   Zuni, Virginia
>>>

>>You can use camE. it takes picture and upload it to where you want and
>>all in background.
>>

>Camorama and camstream are two developed apps just for that purpose.
>
>GnomeMeeting can take snapshots too, as you were said yet.
>
>Also, xawtv can do that, if launched as "xawtv -c /dev/videox" where "x"
>is the number for your usb webcam device. Then just hit Ctrl+J when
>you're ready...:-)
>
>There are several other apps that can manage a webcam, but here we'd
>talking about video streams...
>
>Regards
>
>Daniel

I am still trying to make this webcam work but without much success.
The computer apparently sees it but the applications I have tried don't
and I haven't found much documentation.  I have two devices connected to
the USB ports, the HP scanner works ok with FC4 but not the camera.

$ lsusb
Bus 001 Device 003: ID 03f0:0701 Hewlett-Packard ScanJet 5300c/5370c
Bus 001 Device 002: ID 04fc:0561 Sunplus Technology Co., Ltd
Bus 001 Device 001: ID 0000:0000

CamE starts and dies apparently because it's not seeing the camera:

$ camE
camE: camE 1.9 - (c) 1999, 2000 Gerd Knorr, Tom Gilbert
camE: grabber config: size 320x240, input 0, norm 0, jpeg quality 75
can't load font arial/8
can't load font arial/8
open /dev/video0: No such file or directory

GnomeMeeting reports that no video device is found.

I also installed "camstream."  It runs but displays no video either.  It
appears that
I have something misconfigured but I don't know what?

Any thought as to what I've missed or done wrong?

Bob Goodwin