UPS Fedora prove & packages

George White aa056 at chebucto.ns.ca
Fri Oct 14 00:35:06 UTC 2005

Quoting Ed Landaveri <ed7tux at yahoo.com>:

> Gentlemen, ladies,
> Do any of you can recommend a proven UPS (APC or
> Belking)? Can you tell me the model, number,
> manufacturer and where to get packages for it? I run a
> small server on
> an AMD Athlon box w/FC4 beatifully and I wanna have
> some protection for it. Thanks a lot.

What do you mean by "some protection"?  If this is a critical server where
downtime is costly, you want the professional grade APC (and think about a
standby generator!).  Do you need it to take care of itself without human
intervention (e.g., shutdown when the power has been off for 5 minutes and
restart once the UPS batteries have been recharged)?

APC also sells consumer models comparable to the Belkin that are suitable for
use with office PC's where a brief power glitch could cost someone hours of
work but the organization would survive, and it shuts down after hours it can
wait until someone gets to work in the AM to restart.  I use Best Ferrups (no
longer sold -- maybe because their gear never broke so too few repeat sales)
and APC for important machines, and older Belkin models with serial ports for
PC's.  The main thing is to make sure there is support in NUT (e.g., published
interface specs) or that the vendor provides linux tools for FC4.

--
George N. White III
Head of St. Margarets Bay, Nova Scotia