Grisoft Predicts Linux Virus Plague

Tim ignored_mailbox at yahoo.com.au
Fri Oct 14 20:55:41 UTC 2005

taharka wrote:

>>> Read all about it at:
>>>
>>> http://www.vnunet.com/vnunet/news/2143697/grisoft-warns-linux-virus

And, wham, first thing I see when loading that page, a doubleclick
cookie.  I have scant regard for any page with *them* on it trying to
warn me about something.

Charles Curley:

> Also, the best security does not consist of detecting that you've been
> cracked, and then fixing it. It is not being cracked, and that means
> applying your updates assiduously.

Unfortunately that does seem to be the Windows way.  The damage is
detected, rather than an attempt to cause damage being detected and
thwarted.  I've seen that time and time again.  The Windows idea of
installing things from archive packages with unreadable contents does
nothing to help security.  Many of them can't be scanned, you have to
run the unpacker/installer to get the files out, and by then it's too
late to protect yourself from any malware.

I read messages from the public lists.