Problem with new monitor

jludwig wralphie at comcast.net
Fri Oct 14 22:58:55 UTC 2005

On Friday 14 October 2005 18:01, Tim wrote:
> On Fri, 2005-10-14 at 22:39 +0100, Paul Smith wrote:
> > The problem was solved in the following way:
> >
> > * connected the old CRT monitor;
> > * on FC4, I changed the resolution to 1024x768;
> > * did shutdown;
> > * started FC4 again.

Modifying your /etc/X11/xorg.conf file for proper sweep frequencies will allow
for the highest resolution your monitor can achieve.

> Just logging out then back in again ought to have been enough to restart
> the X server with the new settings, rather than all the delays involved
> in a reboot.  And if that didn't work (it does for me), you can always
> just restart the X server with CTRL+ALT+BACKSPACE without having to
> reboot the entire PC.

Yes, but it is not wise to connect and disconnect components (not designed to
do so) on a running system.

Also for Paul; even if you can't use 'x' (KDE, Gnome, etc.),
cntl + alt  + F1 (Actually F1 through F6) will give a terminal. If you haven't
done so; learning vi/vim, emacs, or the like to modify configuration files is
a very good skill to learn.