fstab-sync wipes out /etc/fstab

Bill Perkins perk at iag.net
Sun Oct 16 05:41:50 UTC 2005

Thomas Taylor wrote:
> On Friday 14 October 2005 22:11, Dan wrote:
>
>>On Sat, October 15, 2005 12:37 pm, Bill Perkins wrote:
>>
>>>In the mean time, you could try booting into rescue mode (saw something
>>>about that a few days ago on this list) using either the ISO image from
>>>the Fedora website, or you can get there with the first disk of the
>>>distro's set. If you can get that far, write down the /etc/fstab file
>>>that is (hopefully) generated when booting into rescue mode (I haven't
>>>tried this as yet, although I may give it a shot just to see what we wind
>>>up with). If that doesn't work, I'd try running fdisk -l to get a list of
>>>the disks and partitions, and work from memory and poking around (mount
>>>the partitions one at a time and examine them) to build a new fstab.
>>>FWIW, here is what mine looks like:
>>
>>Hey Bill,
>>
>>I did boot into rescue mode again and managed to reconstruct my
>>/etc/fstab. After a few reboot attempts i think i have managed to rebuild
>>fstab to its former glory.
>>
>>Posting this from the formerly unbootable machine.
>>
>>BTW i do actually take regular backups of /etc, just not this machine. I
>>guess that will change now :)
>>
>>I wonder if it would be feasable to have fstab-sync take a backup of
>>/etc/fstab, or perform some sanity tests (ie there is a /, /proc, /sys
>>etc) before making changes? Any thoughts/comments?
>>
>>Cheers,
>>
>>Dan
>

> Hi Dan:
>
> Intrigueing idea, but not directly applicable.  "fstab-sync" is an elf binary,
> not a script so not easy to change.
>
> But you COULD write a script to copy or rename the /etc/fstab file and then
> call the "/usr/sbin/fstab-sync" program.
>
> Tom

That's the way I'd go as well, unless you want to have at the source for
fstab-sync. But, from what I've seen, the *nix way of doing things is
keeping the tools simple and gluing them together with scripts ;-)

"The two most common things in the	| Bill Perkins
  universe are Hydrogen and Stupidity."	| perk at iag.net
					| programmer-at-large
		F. Zappa		| ALL assembly languages done here.