fstab-sync wipes out /etc/fstab

akonstam at trinity.edu akonstam at trinity.edu
Sun Oct 16 11:47:26 UTC 2005

On Sun, Oct 16, 2005 at 01:41:50AM -0400, Bill Perkins wrote:
> Thomas Taylor wrote:

> >>Hey Bill,
> >>
> >>I did boot into rescue mode again and managed to reconstruct my
> >>/etc/fstab. After a few reboot attempts i think i have managed to rebuild
> >>fstab to its former glory.
> >>
> >>Posting this from the formerly unbootable machine.
> >>
> >>BTW i do actually take regular backups of /etc, just not this machine. I
> >>guess that will change now :)
> >>
> >>I wonder if it would be feasable to have fstab-sync take a backup of
> >>/etc/fstab, or perform some sanity tests (ie there is a /, /proc, /sys
> >>etc) before making changes? Any thoughts/comments?
> >>
> >>Cheers,
> >>
> >>Dan
> >

> >Hi Dan:
> >
> >Intrigueing idea, but not directly applicable.  "fstab-sync" is an elf
> >binary, not a script so not easy to change.
> >
> >But you COULD write a script to copy or rename the /etc/fstab file and
> >then call the "/usr/sbin/fstab-sync" program.
> >
> >Tom
> >

> That's the way I'd go as well, unless you want to have at the source for
> fstab-sync. But, from what I've seen, the *nix way of doing things is
> keeping the tools simple and gluing them together with scripts ;-)

I am not sure what the original problem was but maybe the following
two things are relevant:
1. fstab-sync only affect lines in the fstab that have "managed" in the
options field.
2. fstab-sync has configuration files that control what it does to
lines it manages.

Immature artists imitate, mature artists steal.
		-- Lionel Trilling
Aaron Konstam
Computer Science
Trinity University